Great Dhananjayans, R.Lavanya's Gurus
Lavanya's performance at Natyanjali, Chidambaram
Lavanya performing an
episode from Kalki's Sivakamiyin Sabadam at Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai on 03 Jan'2005
Raghuraman with the President of Singapore, H E Mr S.R.Nathan
(alapana's Bharatanatyam Teacher)
- Lavanya Raghuraman had a penchant for dance & music from early childhood. A disciple
of the Dhananjayans, Lavanya has been performing at various Sabhas since her Arrangetram
at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Chennai in 1999.
- Lavanya has taken active part in the productions, "Sangamitra" &
"Nritya Tarangini" [under Dhananjayans], "Pancha Bhoota" [under Sri
C.V.Chandrasekhar], "Cosmic Dance of the One" [under Smt Lakshmi Viswanathan].
- Her solo performance, "Glorious Traditions" held on 28th April,2001 at Jubilee
Hall, Raffles Hotel, Singapore was a resounding success. The media reports have praised
her for the quality of performance.
- Her choreography of the dance feature Abhinaya Apsaras & 'Shakthi
Koothu', following the traditional Margam format were lauded as
successful choreography. Lavanya has performed at leading Sabhas in Chennai. Lavanya has
performed a solo recital at the Natyanjali 2003 at Chidambaram & also before the
deity, Lord Nataraja, the Cosmic Dancer.
- Besides dance, Lavanya is known for her versatile talents. Following the footsteps of
the great musician & Scholar Sangita Kalanidhi Dr S.Ramanathan, her grand father,
Lavanya pursues Vocal music, Violin & Veena. She won the first prize for Violin - Open
Category- at the National Indian Music Competition held be the National Arts Council
in Sep'04 . She holds the credit of winning prize twice - once in 1998 and recently in
- Lavanya was featured in a successful special violin recital for MUSIC BOX 2000 on 7th
April,2000 by the Esplanade-theatres on the bay and this concert received a splendid
review in Straits Times. Lavanya bagged the first prize at the Radio Corporation of
Singapores "Talentime-1998" for singing.
- The VCD produced by the Ministry of Education, Singapore on Bharatanatyam features
Lavanya as the key person and dancer. The VCD has been distributed to all secondary
schools in Singapore in 2004.
- Lavanya's "Nagareshu Kaanchi" at Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Chennai on 3rd
January,2005 at the Festival of Dance received a deserving review in the Hindu. Lavanya
Raghuraman performed three solo Bharatanatyam recitals (Hamsadhwani, Nadabrahmam &
Bramha Gana Sabha) in Chennai during the season in Dec'05/Jan'06 . 'The Hindu' of 5th
Jan'06 carried another good review on her performance.
- Lavanya attended an intensive camp of her Guru, the Dhananjayans at Yogaville,
USA in Jul/Aug'06.
- Lavanya performed at the Chennai Music & Dance Festival 2006/07 at Karthik Fine Arts
and Brahma Gana Sabha.
- She also performed a Bharatanatyam recital at SIFAS festival, Singapore in Feb'07.
- Lavanya performed 'Alchemy of the Opposites', a Bharatanatyam solo performance at the
Esplanade Theatre Studio for the Kalaa Utsavam organised by the Esplanade-theatres on the
bay on 18Nov'07. It was a full-house performance.
- Lavanya was conferred the prestigioustitle, 'Natya Chudar' by Karthik
Fine Arts, Chennai on 1st Jan'2009.